6 x 8"
Oil on linen panel (Ray Mar)
My goal in this one was to use fewer brush strokes and to be sure I got it complete in one session. I accomplished both, though it was harder to stay loose with the smaller strokes in the more detailed middle of the flower. I found it near impossible to get the true pinks I wanted with these oils. The lighter pink became more opaque than I wanted. I need to figure out how to mix a good fuschia. Not sure it's possible. Still, you get the idea of the bright light hitting those petals.
Reference photo was taken on January 23, 2011. It was a beautiful and warmer day, so I was hoping to find more camellia's opening up. Could not find any fully open that also had good lighting on them. This one was near the President's Bridge as you are walking on the path towards Azalea Court.