Friday, February 4, 2011

"Warming Up"

5¾ x 5¾"
watercolor on mounted Arches Hot Press (Art Boards)
Sold

Well, I'm back.  It's been a crazy couple of weeks. I've been very busy with my new kindergarteners -- assessing, lesson plans, report cards -- and it's just worn me out.  I finally feel like I'm caught up, so can find more time to paint.  This is the first watercolor I've done on Hot Press paper.  This paper is very smooth, so it should allow me to be very detailed.  At the same time, however, it doesn't let the paint play as much, so it's harder to get those nice blooms that watercolor is known for.  

Reference photo was my favorite snowy day - December 27.  This is a glossy abelia that was peaking out of the snow. I loved the yellow against the blue sky.  These bushes are right by the Ayamebashi (Iris Bridge) near the bamboo.


No comments: