Wednesday, November 24, 2010

"Hearts-a-bustin'"

 
6 x 6"
watercolor on aquabord (Ampersand)
Sold

Thought I'd post one with more fall colors.  Back to the aquabord, I enjoyed working on the background circles and liked how the thin branches moved through the composition.

Reference photo was taken September 26.  This is one of my favorite blooming fall plants.  It's a bush that lives in shaded forests and has these cool scarlet pods that burst in the fall. Native to North Carolina, I had not seen one until moving back here and discovering them in my backyard.  There are several in the H.L. Blomquist Garden of Native Plants section at Duke Gardens, though the largest one I've ever seen is in the Culberson Asiatic Arboretum along the path leading up from the North Pond.  I'll post one done in oil soon.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments: